[wp-hackers] absolute URLs in plug-ins and custom types

Bryan Petty bpetty at bluehost.com
Fri Jul 6 21:08:24 UTC 2012

On 07/06/2012 02:08 PM, Otto wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Shasta Willson <shastaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have to agree with Bryan. I consider the move to deployment (and
>> maintenance of a matching testing server) one of the weakest areas of
>
> Why are you "deploying" your content in the first place?
>
> The notion of development->testing->production is fundamentally a
> software or manufacturing notion. It doesn't make a whole heck of a
> lot of sense to be forcing your writers/authors/content-creators to
> use that same approach.

Two more points I forgot to add...

First, at least one level of testing fundamentally includes testing
against live data, not against the live database itself, but at least
against a snapshot. I don't force authors to publish their posts on some
development server, I'm talking about a snapshot, they still write their
posts on the live server. But I still can't do that without this change.

Second, even if everything you said was true of everyone using WordPress
(that they shouldn't be running live content on *any* server besides the
live one, period... even though that's not true), we still need this
change to simplify site domain/sub-folder migrations.

--
Bryan Petty
WordPress Developer
bpetty at bluehost.com