[wp-hackers] Easy-Hacks for WP

john malc dimitrijenko at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 18:10:44 UTC 2012

Hi,
As part of this
<http://wpdevel.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/dev-chat-notes-01042012/>(Dev Chat
Notes for January 4, 2012) I would like to introduce a new idea for people
(students, one time commiters, etc) who would like to participate on making
WP better. It's Easy-Hacks. The same thing has Libreoffice (OpenOffice.org)
here <http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks>.

Step 1 :

My idea is this. Every time someone from the core find some task, which
he/she thinks is an easy one, will be tagged as an "EasyHacks" (for further
reading just EH). Such tasks could be taken either from the "Future
Release<http://core.trac.wordpress.org/milestone/Future%20Release>"
or from "Awaiting
Review<http://core.trac.wordpress.org/milestone/Awaiting%20Review>".
There are over 2600 tickets and I am sure we can find a few dozens, which
are easy and to be tagged "EasyHacks". Such tasks could be from every
component. Even some of them are from year, when there were versions of WP
such as 2.x. etc. Of course, some of them are stupid and should be delete.
But many of them we can make EH.

Step 2 :
After making a just a few of them (at least +-20 at the beginning) we will
announce it on BLOG. During that time I (+ others) will write in a codex
similar page, which has Libreoffice. For example, I will update and add the
articles about TortoiseSVN
<http://blog.ftwr.co.uk/archives/2005/11/03/windows-wordpress-toolbox/>etc.
Basically I will rewrite LibreOffice page for the Wordpress-users.

SO here just with the lowest (of course doesn't mean the easiest ones)
priority. Even some of them have already patch.:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12738
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/15828
This will be also my "goal=homework" to find them.

Please, Think about it, how we can solve 2 Problems with one solution. 1.
Problem : we need (and also want) more commiters. 2. Problem : Many
students want to help us, but don't know how to help (and e.g. they don't
have big (mean professional) skills).

--
Malcjohn