[wp-hackers] Disable/ Stop "auto-draft" posts

John Blackbourn johnbillion+wp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 17:12:10 UTC 2012

On 28 February 2012 16:50, Jeff Lambert <jeff.lambert at jvhm.com> wrote:
> As for having to create the post to get the PostID, why not just generate a
> PostID, put it into the Post form and then use it when the author saves the
> Post, as opposed to actually saving the Post first?  I'm assuming there is a
> downside somewhere but it would remove the need to have auto drafts (for
> this purpose), remove the need to clean and remove some DB/comm overhead.

It's done this way so, for example, you have access to the $post
object for new posts before they've been saved. As for your
suggestion, you can only generate a valid post ID by inserting a row
into the posts table, which is what WordPress does.

On a similar note, WordPress used to generate post IDs for new posts
without inserting a row into the posts table. It generated negative
post IDs, which were then changed when the post was saved. The current
system is much more robust.