[wp-hackers] Custom Post Type Limitations?

Mark E mark at simplercomputing.net
Fri Feb 10 14:29:58 UTC 2012

Hi,

I thought I'd read something a long while back about a limitation with
Custom Post Types where we couldn't more than X number of CPTs or X
number of taxonomies, but maybe I confusing that with some other issue.

Are there any known limits?

The reason I ask is that we have a site where we're using numerous CPTs
and associated taxonomies. And at some point after adding new
CPTs/taxonomies permalinks start to break where viewing various posts
and/or pages begin to return 404 errors.

For example, we might add a new CPT and taxonomy related to cars. We
activate the plugin, update permalinks. Then try to about the "About Us"
page (unrelated to the CPT of course) and we get a 404. And the CPT
posts might also return 404.

If we then disable a couple of plugins that define CPTs and their
taxonomies, then update permalinks, the 404 errors stop.

Any idea why this would happen?

Below is an example of how we're defining CPTs.

Mark

// Radio Show Podcast

register_post_type('radio_show_podcasts',
	array(	'label' => 'Radio Show Podcasts',
		'description' => '',
		'public' => true,
		'show_ui' => true,
		'show_in_menu' => true,
		'capability_type' => 'post',
		'hierarchical' => false,
		'rewrite' => array('slug' => false),
		'query_var' => true,
		'supports' =>
array('title','editor','excerpt','trackbacks','custom-fields','comments','revisions','thumbnail','author','page-attributes',),
		'labels' => array (
			'name' => 'Radio Show Podcasts',
			'singular_name' => 'Radio Show Podcast',
			'menu_name' => 'Radio Show Podcasts',
			'add_new' => 'Add Podcast',
			'add_new_item' => 'Add New Podcast',
			'edit' => 'Edit Podcasts',
			'edit_item' => 'Edit Podcast',
			'new_item' => 'New Podcast',
			'view' => 'View Podcast',
			'view_item' => 'View Podcast',
			'search_items' => 'Search Podcast',
			'not_found' => 'No Podcasts Found',
			'not_found_in_trash' => 'No Podcasts Found in Trash',
			'parent' => 'Parent Podcast',
		),
	)
);

register_taxonomy('radio_show_podcast_categories',
	array (
	    0 => 'radio_show_podcasts',
	),
	array( 'hierarchical' => false,