[wp-hackers] Some useful plugins I could not believe did not exist...

David Anderson david at wordshell.net
Tue Dec 4 06:05:54 UTC 2012

On 04/12/12 08:08, wp-hackers-request at lists.automattic.com wrote:
> 3. Add Email Signature - add a fixed signature to every outgoing email;
> useful for branding/legal requirements.
>
> I've seen several plugins that let you customize all the outgoing emails in
> their entirety (I don't think that counts as adding a huge amount of other
> functionality).
I do have a preference for plugins that do one thing, well. The one
similar plugin I could find was "WP Better Emails", but that creates a
multipart email and only touches the HTML, leaving the text/plain part
as-is. I just wanted to add a signature to the text/plain part and not
have any text/html at all. As I say, I may just have not looked in the
right places. I found others that did not fit my needs.

> One of my oft-installed plugins is
> John Blackbourn's User Switching plugin, which allows administrators to
> switch to any user.http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-switching/
>
> +1000000 to User Switching. Far better for workflow than logging in and out.
Thanks for the link, it looks very good.

Mine differs in its approach - it aims for multiple concurrent logins,
rather than one which is switched. Under my approach, you can log in as
an administrator, then open a separate browser session (use 'Private
Browsing'), and log in there as another user - but you only need to know
your own administrator password. Then if there's work that needs doing
in configuring WordPress as an admin, whilst testing the effects on the
user, you're not switching back and forth between logins (only between
browser viewports).

David

--
WordShell - WordPress fast from the CLI - www.wordshell.net