[wp-hackers] WooCommerce & subscriptions - advice please

Duncan O'Neill webservices at slingshot.co.nz
Tue Dec 4 05:07:55 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'm building a shop using WooCommerce for a fitness training
outfit. They want to give clients the option of purchasing
their training packages by making two or four part-payments
over a set period. Which I guess is a form of subscription.
Paypal is one of the gateways which will be used.

This is the first time I've worked with WooCommerce, so I'm
asking for advice on alternatives;

I see that WooCommerce offers a premium "subscriptions" plugin,
which I assume will do the job. Has anyone had experience working
with this plugin / extension?

Does anyone know of another ( pre-coded ) alternative to buying
this plugin for managing the relatively simple scheme above?
Has anyone attempted to code their own extension or plugin to
deal with the situation above? How difficult / successful was
that?

Can the variations be managed from within the paypal account,
without the need for an upgrade to WooCommerce?

Is there another WooCommerce extension or WordPress plugin you
know about which will do the job?

Or would I be better to simply bite the bullet, and stump up
for the extension?

Any advice / thoughts appreciated.

best,

--