[wp-hackers] the home.php problem: does it asks for a posts.php ?

Leo germani leogermani at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 12:38:03 UTC 2012

I started out this discussion with the wrong focus.

The focus is: Do you think that having to add and mantain to dummy pages as
placeholders for the Home and the Blog are a good thing? I dont. I think
its very confusing for the user and also very dangerous.

What I wanted to discuss is a way to give the ability to the theme authors
to say how the front page and blogs page will look like, and where it will
be accessible. No dummy pages needed.

Leo,,

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Vinicius Massuchetto <
viniciusmassuchetto at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/8/27 Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net>:
> > You might want to revisit the Template
> > Hierarchy<http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy>.
> > It appears that you use "home.php" and "front-page.php" interchangeably,
> > but they are not interchangeable.
> >
> >    - The "front-page.php" template file is used to render the SITE FRONT
> >    PAGE (i.e. home_url()), regardless of whether the front page displays
> the
> >    blog posts index, or a static page.
> >    - The "home.php" template file is used to render the BLOG POSTS INDEX,
> >    whether the blog posts index is displayed on the site front page, or
> on a
> >    static page.
>
> Is that the case of emphasizing such information on this very same
> documentation page? I ask because, as Leo said, I've also seen a lot
> of people misusing `home.php` as the site front page, and reading back
> the (English) documentation, in fact, looks confusing to me.
>
> In the other hand, the pt_BR translation for this page curiously
> switch places of `home.php` and `front-page.php`. Can this be a
> contribution for all this confusion?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Vinicius Massuchetto