[wp-hackers] the home.php problem: does it asks for a posts.php ?

Leo germani leogermani at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 22:15:53 UTC 2012

Yes, I see the root fo the confusion now.

Sometimes I just think that those optinos in the readin panel are dangerous
for the user. I dont want to have a dummy page called "blog" to list my
blog posts. The user can accidentally delete this page and break the site.
or tweak that option...

As a theme developer, what Im looking for is a way to force what will be
displayed in the front page and where the visitor will find the blog.

If I write a front-page.php file and access the root of my site. I have
whatever I want there, despite of what is selected on the reading settings.
But then I dont have a URL to acccess my blog... see?

I could make a custom rewrite rule, Ive done it sometimes, but I just
though I would bring this up here cause its seems something lots of people
want to do and that should have a better support. But I understand now that
we can not do somethig thar ignores the reading settings...

hmmm...

side note: according to you guys this page shoulbe be banned from the
codex:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Making_Your_Blog_Appear_in_a_Non-Root_Folder

Leo,,
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Justin Tadlock <justin at justintadlock.com>wrote:

> Not necessarily.  You could always set up custom rewrite rules. It's just
> easier to do it through the reading settings.
>
> You don't need a page template for it though.  Actually, I don't think you
> can even use a page template at all anyway.  WP will automatically use
> "home.php" or, if it doesn't exist, fall back to "index.php".
>

> On 8/27/2012 5:00 PM, Leo germani wrote:
>
>> I actually forgot to ask in my email if I was missing something huge here.
>> But beleive me, I see a lot of people running into the same problem.
>>
>> I understand the difference between home.php and front-page.php better
>> now,
>> but the question that brought me here is: if I have a front-page.php file
>> in my theme, what link my visitor will have to access to see my latests
>> posts? Does it have necessarily to be done through the Reading options and
>> setting up a page template?
>>
>> Leo,,
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Justin Tadlock <justin at justintadlock.com
>> >**wrote:
>>
>>  I think you're just getting confused with the "home" and "front page"
>>> terminology a bit.
>>>
>>> home.php is your blog posts template (i.e., your 'post' post type
>>> archive). It's always used when is_home() is true, even if this is not

leogermani.com.br