[wp-hackers] Advice regarding Custom Post Types and Taxonomies

Mike Walsh mpwalsh8 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 23:21:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Ben Lobaugh <lists at lobaugh.net> wrote:

> Good idea Otto. That taxonomy list will get potentially huge, as all the
> teams will need to be re-added for each year. It may be easier to have the
> team CPT and use a custom field in the team member's profile to relate them
> to the team per year. Then the player can do all that work themself instead
> of the admin having to come in and make new terms each year. On login for
> the next year the player chooses their team for that year and boom, done.
> Or the coach can go into a team page that archives the list of players each
> year and create a new roster.

This sounds close - I think what I am looking for is the unique combination
of a team and a roster term and be able to assign that to a player.  I
don't want to create a unique roster term for each team for each season but
that is effectively what I'd do IF I go down the hierarchical CPT path.

I guess I essentially want to create a third taxonomy based on the Team
CPTs and the Roster terms.  Has anyone done something like this?  Seems a
little risky as terms and team names could change but it would definitely
let me define a unique connection between a player and a team's roster for
a particular season.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mpwalsh8 at gmail.com