[wp-hackers] Community conventions for custom post types?

onlyunusedname onlyunusedname at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 16:06:07 UTC 2012

Exactly.  I think it could be a really powerful convenience if plugins knew
to expect certain common metadata to be stored in a certain fashion.  Kind
of analogous-ish  to the way the larger web uses microformats.

And it would seem to me that if you made the spec for each common CMS item
maximally complicated and taxonomy overloaded, then the extra data would be
there for developers who wanted it and could be gracefully ignored by
developers who didn't.  Similar to Post Formats.

And its worth noting, that while post formats were a nice benefit for
developers, think of what a much, much bigger benefit they were to
non-developers.  Then think of the benefit to non-developers who could know
that if their restaurant plugin or theme was "WordPress Community
Restaurant Standard"-compatible that they could use any other theme or
plugin that also was and it would just work.  And their legacy data would
always persist.

And there is the benefit of having the community standardize these sorts of
implementations for the sake of novice developers.