[wp-hackers] Redactor WYSIWYG Editor for WP

John Blackbourn johnbillion+wp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 00:17:13 UTC 2012

On 3 August 2012 00:00, Andrew Ozz <admin at laptoptips.ca> wrote:
> Nearly all JS editors get off the ground fast by adding UI to the browsers
> built-in contentEditable functionality. Once there, most try to tackle few
> more tasks and stop. The next step requires a lot of work: creating APIs,
> dealing with tons of browser quirks, etc.
>
> Currently there are several other editors at approximately the same stage.
> The problem is that a lot of the functionality for editing HTML should be in
> the browsers. It can be handles much better there than trying to extend the
> limited contentEditable mode with JS.

Many (if not most) online document editing services (eg. Google Docs)
don't use contentEditable due to its limitations and cross-browser
incompatibilities. They use direct DOM manipulation instead.

Thinking out loud: I wonder if there are any WYSIWYG editor projects
out there which are using DOM manipulation instead of contentEditable
mode?