[wp-hackers] Strategies for setting up good dev/staging/production process for WP sites.

Josh S joshua.sibelman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 23:07:58 UTC 2012

I was researching the issue of serialized data in the WP database impacting
its portability, because I'm considering suggesting WP for my new
employers' CMS needs. I stumbled across a post on WP
Tavern<http://www.wptavern.com/one-way-to-make-wordpress-less-portable>from
April of this year where Otto left a comment containing the following:

"There’s better ways to set up your dev/staging/production environments,
without needing to change URLs around."

I'd be curious to know what strategies people have come up with for
managing this process with WordPress, as it's something that I've found
challenging to deal with, especially since I always handled changes the
"naive way" that Otto mentions.

Hopefully this is the right place for such a question.

Cheers,
Josh