[wp-hackers] Redactor WYSIWYG Editor for WP

Mike Schinkel mike at newclarity.net
Thu Aug 2 19:18:28 UTC 2012

On Aug 2, 2012, at 10:30 AM, Otto wrote:
>> If you care, you can fork version 7.6.1:
>> https://github.com/imperavi/redactor-js/blob/master/js/redactor/redactor.js
>
> If they've switched licenses to the point where we can't use any later
> versions, then using the code makes no sense as there's no longer a
> viable upgrade path.

I was going to say the exact same thing, but Otto said it more elegantly.

On Aug 2, 2012, at 10:38 AM, Ryan Hellyer wrote:
> If they were alerted to the fact that changing their license back to
> GPL could result in their software being many orders of magnitude more
> popular, they may very well just change it.

That was my immediate thought as well. However it's clear the moved to the "NC" licenses so they could start selling licenses:

http://redactorjs.com/download/

But moving back to GPL would cut an easy, obvious and immediate revenue stream for them so I fear they would not want to switch unless someone could show them how to easily generate more revenue by switching back to GPL.

While we have discussed approaches on this topic for our own needs[1] maybe the list would be open to brainstorming how Redactor could generate more income if they were to switch back to GPL?

- Is there any low-hanging fruit that could leverage that they have not considered?
- Are there enterprise features that companies would pay handsomely for so that the base version that most people would need could be made GPL?
- Are there any supporting subscription services they would be compelling enough to build a business around?
- Is there any other way they could generate income from switching to GPL?

I'm just thinking if we help them figure out how to switch to GPL and still generate the revenue needed to support their business they'd be much more likely to do so.

We haven't tested Redactor yet ourselves but on Frank's recommendation I think we would like to consider incorporate it into our planned GPL software if we could, and get rid of that PITA known as TinyMCE.

-Mike

[1] We're planning to release plugins to support our business that will be GPL licensed.