[wp-hackers] Automatically Updating WordPress via SSH

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Apr 30 19:27:15 UTC 2012

Dumb question: Did you restart your webserver after making the change?
Extension has to get loaded and such, and if you didn't restart, then
the FastCGI processes holding your PHP processes won't have reloaded
and the INI won't have been read.

The check in core to make the option appear is this:

if ( extension_loaded('ssh2') && function_exists('stream_get_contents') )

So make sure you have streams enabled too.

-Otto