[wp-hackers] WordPress and Websockets

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Wed Sep 28 01:26:54 UTC 2011

Push Events/SSE still have the same problem however, It requires a single
connection to remain open for the browser, a header/data chunk is sent along
with a HTTP 100 continue header from memory, so the browser continuously
receives the updated data. In order for that to happen, you'll have a PHP
script in a infinite loop (until the client disconnects).

Push Events and Websockets are nice standards, but not available for most
people right now due to that server support requirement, If you're deploying
a single dedicated site, you can ensure the server can handle it.. but for
everyone else out there not managing their servers? Ajax Long polling is the
best option which is going to perform whilst not bringing their server to
it's knees.