[wp-hackers] easy way to request ftp credentials and use them, when directory to write is not writable?..

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Thu Sep 15 09:20:27 UTC 2011

I'm not quite sure of your question there..
put_contents() is used to write data directly to a file, it truncates
the file in the process of doing so.
So yes, You should read the contents of the file first if you wish to
alter the contents, and then write the altered contents back into the
file.
If you simply want to replace the contents of the file, there's not
need to read it.