[wp-hackers] UniversVideo

Braydon ronin at braydon.com
Mon Oct 31 11:51:02 UTC 2011

More than two years ago I was working on a plugin for HTML5 video for
WordPress, so don't hold it against me since. I've since not maintained
it. However I wanted to draw some attention to it in hope that someone
is interested to refresh it, and bring in their own experience.

It's not in the WordPress repository because it didn't feel it was
appropriate since it's not exactly very friendly to use. It requires an
FFMPEG custom compiled for the for the MP4 part, in addition to
FFMPEG2Theora. It's possible also support WebM which has become
available, but isn't setup for that currently.

I'm bring this up now because I've just realized that HTML5 videos are
showing up as video in search results, and there are lot of benefits
other than ethics. Such as video that works across feed readers, in
addition to mobile (no flash), and HTML5 video just plays so much
smoother, and resumes to the correct time when navigating away and back
to the page. Small things.

http://universvideo.com/