[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Mon Oct 31 05:05:30 UTC 2011

On Oct 30, 2011, at 11:51 PM, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:
> At first glance that sounds good and all, but do you really want to be
> calling your files wp-development.funclientsite.com-config.php ?

Sure I do.  Why not?

We have /wp-admin/includes/class-wp-comments-list-table.php, is the above any worse?

(Actually, I have the good sense not to create such crazy long domains for development; I would use "funclientsite.dev." But I digress. :)

> What about when paths are thrown into the mix?

	$config_file = 'wp-' . str_replace( '/', '-', $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] ) . '-config.php';

> wp-config.php is a php include line any other, it doesn't *have* to contain
> any definitions at all, it can simply be a switch/if and include the
> specific file for that instance.

Yep. I was just trying to propose moving toward some standard so that everybody who is not highly experienced with WordPress doesn't have to go through the pain of figuring out what works and what doesn't.

I know how do it it; I'm just trying to look out for those who don't.

> That's exactly what I've seen some large-scale installations use,

Then why not come up with a standard that is simple for basic cases but scales up to handle more complex cases?

-Mike
P.S. BTW, if you'd rather take the position that it's not possible to create something that works well for everyone (which is something I've often heard over the year from people about technology solutions, until a competitor shows them that it can be done) then so be it; I don't have time or energy to fight for this, again I was just trying to be helpful for the benefit of others.