[wp-hackers] Postformats vs Categories

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 14:28:13 UTC 2011

I know that the *main reason* post formats were added into the core
was the inter-operatibility between themes and providing some
standards across themes.  this way, one does not need to create a
"video" category - just to be able to display video posts differently
and tap into the post format video to achieve the same effect plus,
the ability to use other postformat aware templates without any
issues. i get that.

however,

if you do not care about the templates, ( that is you are managing a
highly complicated web site where no ready-to-go template is going to
help you and you are therefore using your own super-duper custom made
template ), then the question why care about the post-formats? I want
to make sure that if I refer to cats, wouldn't I  be better off using
categories as opposed to using post formats?

the reason I ask this is this...

post formats are limited to what comes with wp. I think they are
aside, status, .... and all together less than 10. And if you need
more post formats types for your specific case, you are out of luck.
but by using categories, you got no limitation. am I right?

the bottom line question is when template standartization is not an
issue., is there any harm using categories to address the post
formatting matters!

thanks