[wp-hackers] Replacing the comment text box

Dagan Henderson Dagan.Henderson at epyllion.com
Fri Oct 21 03:53:21 UTC 2011

You mean aside from calling comment_form() in your theme? (see: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/comment_form)  You can customize a ton of stuff (though certainly not everything) through the various args and hooks, which are pretty well documented in the codex.

If you're really trying to do everything from scratch (which is actually quite a bit), you could always just skip the comment_form() function in favor of my_comment_form(), but that would have to be part of a theme, not a plug in.

If at all possible, I'd try hard to work within the existing API.