[wp-hackers] Lowest Capabilities possible in Custom Role?

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Fri Oct 14 14:18:16 UTC 2011

On Oct 13 2011 11:53 AM, Robert Lusby wrote:
> I'm a little confused creating a custom role in a plugin.
>
> I need the end users to do "ONLY" the following things:
> -> Post comments
> -> Reply to comments
> -> Edit their comment (optional/not required).
>
> They *should not* have access to WP-Admin (so I believe I can't give
> them "read" permissions?
>
> What's the correct roles for this kind of user level? I've had a good
> read of the Roles and Capabilities page on the Codex and still can't
> find an exact answer.
>
> Thanks!

If you don't want them to have *any* access to WP-Admin, then don't give
them logins, and therefor, they won't need a role. A plugin like AJAX
Edit Comments can handle the 'edit comments' requirement. Anonymous
users can comment just fine without a real user login.

If you want verified logins, the Subscriber role should be fine, and
will have extremely limited access to the admin screens already.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/