[wp-hackers] Multi-site domain related configuration issues

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Mon Nov 21 22:42:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Hal Burgiss <hal at burgiss.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Brian Layman <wp-hackers at thecodecave.com>wrote:
>
>> On 11/18/2011 5:10 PM, Hal Burgiss wrote:
>>
>>> However sub-directory installations on non-primary domains do not work:
>>>
>>> example2.com/testtest
>>> sub.example.com/pleasehelp
>>>
>>>  A change introduced into WordPress 3.1 causes WordPress to ignore the
>> path field in the site table when trying to figure out the SiteID.  As a
>> result, WordPress 3.1 and newer break all sites that work the way you've
>> describe.
>>
>> I submitted a ticket & patch for this a few months ago.  You can see it
>> here: http://core.trac.wordpress.**org/ticket/18079<http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18079>
>>
>> This has not made it into 3.3, but if you apply that patch to 3.2, you
>> can get your sites up and running today.

Sadly, this did not get us where we needed to be. The patch applied fine,
but we still had issues. (Its perfectly possible that in trying to
configure our way passed this, we had screwed something non-obvious up in
the process.)

The client is now OK breaking this installation into two separate
installations, which will get us over this hump, and probably a better plan
in this situation anyway.

Thanks.

--
Hal