[wp-hackers] How to make root relative urls work in, , , subdomain

Ryann Micua ryannmicua at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 07:20:37 UTC 2011

not dumb, I use it too. well, almost. I only have one dev url on my box
http://wp.dev then everything is a subdirectory from there like so:
http://wp.dev/projectname1/, http://wp.dev/projectname2/ I've had no
problems with wordpress with this setup.

I'm guessing you'll probably have a lot of virtual domains by now? and a
pretty big hosts file too =) I don't take my old projects "offline"
which is why I do it the way I'm doing it.

The problem comes up if I'm doing a non-wp project like say I'm just
converting straight from PSD to html/css. On wp, it's no problem since I
refer to my assets (css,js) as <?php echo get_template_directory_uri();
?>/css/style.css basically an absolute url.

But on non-wp projects, I like to use root relative urls so it's now <a
href="/page.html"> Unfortunately it doesn't work straight out if your
root directory is actually a subdirectory of another domain like so
http://wp.dev/nonwpproject/ because the links will point to
http://wp.dev/page.html instead of http://wp.dev/nonwpproject/page.html

which is why this thread is here =)

--