[wp-hackers] questioning the efficiency of using custom post types

Marcus Pope Marcus.Pope at springbox.com
Tue Nov 1 18:10:22 UTC 2011

Agreed Christopher, both on flame wars and use cases for joins. You can't make a blanket statement about joins being slower in all cases as that purely depends on how you slice the data. Row level scans can be horrifically slow. You can improve this by adding indexes on your key table columns but when those indexes become extremely large themselves the benefit is lost. Joins allow you, in many cases, to break those relationships down into more manageable chunks on several levels. So the result is a faster query. But the notion that all data should be relational is a misnomer too and has proven more troublesome (inflexible) for the data set sizes wordpress typically deals with. kvp architectures tend to support far more variations of data structures than problem domain specific relationships, so the result for a generalized community is a better platform. And given the performance of modern databases and price of modern technology it will continue to  become even easier as a general rule.

In reality wordpress is still built on those performance realizing joins, just not more than one or two join for this particular case (meta data is joined with posts and possibly taxonomies in most of the queries, just typically not between the data itself that people put in the meta table)

Marcus Pope