[wp-hackers] Long Polling, Ajax and WordPress

Alex Hempton-Smith hempsworth at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 15:10:47 UTC 2011

Thanks all for your advice.

Id love to explore a static cache in the form of an XML file, updated
only when new items are added, but there may be issues.

I have two 'lists' that will need to have live updating enabled on.

The one is the simple DB results I posted before. This is basically
asking 'have any posts been added since I last checked', however wont
this be different for whoever is logged in at that time? (I have no
logged-out users). That is to say, user A may have seen the new post,
and the cache is purged/updated, but user B hasn't had 'their' list
updated yet...

The second 'list' might be a tad trickier. It's more like a Facebook
activity stream, which will aggregate different post types and
comments based on whether they have anything to do with the current
user.

Because this will be dynamic from one person to the next, how would I
go about caching this (or any part of the jigsaw?)

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, as I'm quiet inexperienced when
it comes to caching etc.

Many thanks for your help,
Alex

Sent from my iPhone