[wp-hackers] to use or not to use a custom taxonomy

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Nov 1 15:01:17 UTC 2011

On Nov 1, 2011, at 8:18 AM, Haluk Karamete wrote:
> I'm sorry but I still don't get the advantage of using CT's here as
> far as usability...  I wish I could see this clearly. Cause seeing it
> helps tremendously in the application phase.

One simple benefit is cleaner URLs:

	http://example.com/media/video/

vs:

	http://example.com/categories/media/video/

Another benefit is multiple taxonomy metaboxes in the post editor.

I can't think of the other reasons, but I know there are more (too little sleep last night); my experience tells me to always use a custom taxonomy whenever possible.

> Again the question, why create a hierarchical CT ever?

I have an example from my current project.  We have a "Person Role" taxonomy for a law firm with the following roles:

-- Administration
-- Attorney
----- Partners
-------- Named Partners
----- Of Counsel
----- Associates
-- Paralegal

This allows us to get a list of all Attorneys, separately a list of Partners, those with "Of Counsel" or of Associates, but also a list of "Named Partners."  But I don't think usage approach matches your use-cases, am I wrong?

-Mike