[wp-hackers] Plugin authors info about 3.2

Andrew Ozz admin at laptoptips.ca
Mon May 16 20:49:46 UTC 2011

Was preparing the plugin authors email announcement and thought I should
post it here too. It's all old news for most people on the lists, but
anyways:

1. The admin UI style was updated. This is mostly a visual update so if
your plugin uses the default admin CSS styles on its settings page, it
will inherit all seamlessly.

2. The "Favorites" menu (top/right on all admin pages) was removed
completely.

3. jQuery was updated to version 1.6.1 and jQuery UI was updated to
1.8.12 (latest versions available at the moment). We encourage all
authors of plugins that use jQuery to test them in a latest trunk
version of WordPress as there are a couple of changes that may affect
many plugins:

  - jQuery 1.5.0 and newer no longer allows selectors of the form
[property=value]. These selectors now require quotes:
[property="value"]. See
https://wpdevel.wordpress.com/2011/05/07/just-a-heads-up-wp-trunk-uses-jquery/

  - jQuery 1.6.0 and newer introduces another method: .prop() that
replaces many .attr() calls. This was (partially) reverted in jQuery
1.6.1 but we still found a place were we needed to switch from .attr()
to .prop() in order for the script to work properly. Also using .prop()
is a lot faster.

Please note that jQuery 1.6.1 came out the day after WordPress 3.2-beta
was released so it's not included in the downloadable package. To test
with jQuery 1.6.1 you will need to update your 3.2-beta installation to
trunk.

4. WordPress 3.2 has new minimal requirements: PHP 5.2.4 and MySQL
5.0.15. Most of the PHP 4 compat code was removed except for a few class
constructors since many plugins seem to call them directly. If your
plugin uses any of the WordPress PHP classes, please test that it calls
them properly.