[wp-hackers] Prevent display of dynamic sidebar in widgets.php

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Sun May 15 16:25:00 UTC 2011

On May 14, 2011 4:24 PM, "Andy Charrington-Wilden" <
andycharrington at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am trying to find a way to exclude a dynamic sidebar from the default
widgets page (widgets.php) in wp-admin. I know it sounds crazy but I am
using dynamic sidebars as part of a plugin and as such don't want the user
to be able to assign widgets to the sidebars my plugin creates.

> Does that makes sense? I hope so!
>
> I haven't found any hooks I can use, so am wondering if the only option is
to use CSS to hide the sidebar in widgets.php. Not the ideal solution to be
honest so was hoping someone here had some bright ideas!

Instead of leveraging dynamic_side ar() maybe your plugin should just call
the_widget(). There isn't an API for assigning widgets to sidebars anyway.

Nacin