[wp-hackers] How to turn localhost into 192.168.1.199 (or whatever)

Philip Walton philip at philipwalton.com
Tue May 3 05:05:59 UTC 2011

I'm developing a few plugins locally (http://localhost/wordress), and I
want people on my work network to be able to test them by going to
http://192.168.1.199/wordpress/

But, obviously, WordPress doesn't like that domain name so it doesn't
work. I know I can set up a virtual host on my server and edit my hosts
file, but I don't want to have to explain to all my coworkers how to do
this just to test a plugin.

Is anyone aware of a relatively simple way to trick WordPress into
allowing it to run on a different domain and/or file path? I thought I
could redefine some of the defined constants and get it to work, but I'm
not having any luck with that.

Philip