[wp-hackers] [GSoC] Document Management

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Thu Mar 31 01:51:02 UTC 2011

On 3/30/11 9:42 PM, Mike Schinkel wrote:
> I'd also like to know is what experience have you had that have give you insight into real world use-cases? I think for this to be done well it would need to address many different real-world use-cases from real like users which might not be possible in the abstract vacuum of a GSoC project?
Mike - These are student projects, intended as learning and mentorship
opportunites within the open source project. The majority don't wind up
in core or being what they were imagined to be during the application
phase. Let's not attempt to put the same burden you would place on
someone applying for a contract development job on the teenage and
early-20s students who make up the majority of GSoC applicants. The
project mentors are the ones providing the real-world experience as they
work with the students during the warm-up period to revise scope as
needed. That's kind of the whole point of pairing up students and
mentors in GSoC.

Ben - I love the doc management idea. Check out the EditFlow plugin for
one approach to workflow management. Yes, you will likely need to focus
on a subset of the functionality you mentioned giving the timing of the
term, but that is certainly doable.
jane