[wp-hackers] [GSoC] Document Management
Benjamin J. Balter
ben at balter.com
Wed Mar 30 21:12:36 UTC 2011
I'm preparing a GSoC application for a plugin that implements document
management and version control functionality.
The idea would be to help position WordPress to make some headway into
gov/enterprise where these features are often required. It would also help
approach parity with other open source CMS's as well as Sharepoint when it
comes to document management.
- Extend WP's revisions and attachment functionality to handle revisions to
attachments, including a revision log (similar to commit messages) for
documents, grouping documents and their revisions into a custom post type
- Build on permalink structure and post statuses to handle latest-document
and revision permalinks, and public/private toggling functionality.
- Build onto the existing autosave system to maintain file locks to prevent
- Add basic workflow management (overview of documents by status, etc.)
upon which other plugins and users could expand.
- Apply user permissions on a document-status level.
I've been working on a prototype that supports the beginnings of these
features, but it's very much a work in progress. Thoughts or feedback with
regards to the idea and scope would be appreciated.
More information about the wp-hackers