[wp-hackers] GSoC 2011

scribu mail at scribu.net
Wed Mar 30 18:20:39 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Thomas Van Eyck
<thomas.vaneyck at gmail.com>wrote:

> As far as the media idea goes, I don't think the WP core needs more gallery
> features and stuff like that, at least not now. I think a stronger backend
> is
> needed, providing a very strong foundation to build some management
> functionality on. This is all that should be added to the core. The current
> frontend features such as galleries could be kept for now. Any other
> features
> could then be implemented using plugins.

Completely agree.

To clarify this a little bit. I see one central storage point in the WP core
> for
> all media. This would for instance mean a basic table in the DB, with a
> record
> for each media item. The files would still be stored on disk, although sub
> folders should best be supported to keep things manageable. Using a table
> like
> that, would mean that files can be moved around without breaking things
> higher
> up. Some form of taxonomization should be supported, be it using
> categories,
> tags, posts, etc. This would than allow, together with some extra meta
> data, to
> provide more enhanced searching, filtering and sorting in the Admin area.

This is already the case: each file has a record in the wp_posts table, with
the 'attachment' post type.

You should do your homework better next time. ;)

--
http://scribu.net