[wp-hackers] GSoC Project Feedback - File Uploader

Jacob Gillespie me at jacobwg.com
Wed Mar 30 16:05:59 UTC 2011

Hello all...

I'm currently working on my GSoC application and will have it posted to my
blog soon, but I wanted to get some preliminary feedback.

I'm interested in working on the file uploader - getting a more
feature-filled uploader that can work with HTML5, drag-and-drop, etc. based
on browser support.

I've done some research on file uploading for some of my past personal
projects, and these are a few of the existing open source projects I know
of, ranked roughly from most promising to least promising

   1. Plupload - http://www.plupload.com/
   2. Uploadify - http://www.uploadify.com/
   3. Ajax Upload jQuery Plugin - http://valums.com/ajax-upload/
   4. jQuery File Upload - http://aquantum-demo.appspot.com/file-upload
   5. Some combination of swfupload (
   https://github.com/alexanmtz/jqswfupload,
   https://github.com/ifunk/swfupload-jquery-plugin)

Are there any other file uploaders that I'm missing that would be good for
consideration?

The task of choosing an uploader and integrating while keeping existing APIs
seems fairly straightforward - are there any potential challenges that I am
missing?

Thank you for your feedback,
Jacob