[wp-hackers] [GSoC] profiles.wordpress.org

Stas Sușcov stas at nerd.ro
Tue Mar 29 23:46:47 UTC 2011

În data de Ma, 29-03-2011 la 19:08 -0400, Jane Wells a scris:
> On 3/29/11 6:00 PM, Stas Sușcov wrote:
> > Afaik profiles.wordpress.org now uses BuddyPress, so I will start by
> > proposing moving away from BuddyPress, all the ideas I will list below
> > will use only WordPress.
> > Why not BuddyPress
> > ------------------
> >
> > I'm not missing any of the features BuddyPress can offer with the
> > workflow I described above, why should I add it as a dependency?!
> There are other things attached to profiles, including extended profile
> fields, geo data, etc. that run on BuddyPress. We've also talked about
> using groups to facilitate some new working group and/or meetup stuff at
> some point.

Profile fields should not be a problem (I recently wrote a plugin that
converts all the xProfile fields data to user metadata, with one click).

What about groups... I think (I'm almost sure) I can use some custom
taxonomy to replace that. But I need more details, now I'm just
guessing.

I know I bugged this list last year about profiles/.org, so If the
core/.org team thinks it's not a top priority project this year, I will
stop asking about it and focus on something else.