[wp-hackers] [GSoC] Language Packs

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Tue Mar 29 21:15:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Stas Sușcov <stas at nerd.ro> wrote:

> În data de Ma, 29-03-2011 la 16:06 -0400, Andrew Nacin a scris:
> > Those, again, could be generated automatically and imported into
> > GlotPress.
>
> Not sure,
> additional work would be required to create "sanboxes" where code is
> checked out from svn, parsed, and than imported into GP.
> All of this can be handled by devs by simply using a standard directory
> (lets say `languages`) or adding a new line in `readme.txt` with the
> location of .pot file. Also by asking them to offer .pot file, you make
> sure the author did his homework and read about localization api.

We already have pot creation tools, as well as SVN tracking tools. On
commit, generate a new pot file and import it. In fact each of these steps
are already done in various scripts, we'd just work (on the wp.org side) to
bring them together for this new project.

Anyway, I wouldn't touch GP at all from that side, and work on a
> "bridge/pot-bot" as you and I already mentioned that will handle all the
> imports and voted plugins in translation queue.
>
> Another question that rises is plugin directory api, that one will also
> require an update. So the plugin installation process will include a
> confirmation from a user if he wants to also download the translation
> for the new/updated plugin.

It can and should be transparent, based on the availability of the
translation and the site's language settings. We'd create a new API (or
version of an existing API) on api.wordpress.org that would notify when
language packs are available for install or update.

Ideally anyone pitching this project would be able to enumerate the required
features for core/plugin code to the point where it makes sense as a large
enough project, and we'd help tie the pieces together for anything beyond
the scope of the project for the purposes of actually implementing language
packs.

Nacin