[wp-hackers] [GSoC 2011] Introduction + questions about some of the projects

scribu mail at scribu.net
Fri Mar 25 14:32:37 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've added links to previous projects on the codex page:

http://codex.wordpress.org/GSoC2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Sagie Maoz <sagiem at gmail.com> wrote:

> * Progress Bars
> To plan for this feature, I'd need to know:
> - What exactly is the list of functions where the progress bar should be
> embedded?

You'll have to make that list yourself.

> - In these functions, is there an indication from the server side on
> progress completed? Is development of that needed, or do we just
> "guestimate" on the UI side?

Without a server-side indicator, we would stick to spinners, no? You will
likely have to do the server-side part too.

* Enhanced Emails
> Certainly sounds like it's time for such a feature, but questions arise:
> - Are the e-mail message designs customized as part of the theme?

No, that's not a requirement, although it would probably be nice if the
design was customizable by theme authors.

> - How to handle remote image elements? This could be a tough problem.
> For example, IIRC to avoid Gmail's auto-hiding of such images, one has to
> identify the originating domain name with some CNAME record. How can we
> solve that on a platform level?

You don't need to worry about auto-hiding. In general, avoid any server
depedendent features.

--
http://scribu.net