[wp-hackers] GSoC 2011 Project Proposal

Maulik Kamdar kamdarmax at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 13:56:10 UTC 2011

Hello,

My name is Maulik Kamdar, a pre-final year undergraduate student at the
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. I was a past Google Summer of Code
student in 2010 under Drupal working on the project of HTML 5 Support to
Drupal 7.

I had developed two modules during that period, one which extended HTML 5
features of video, audio, form elements and another which developed
Automated Graphs using HTML 5 Canvas and RGraph API.

I am very much interested to work under Wordpress for GSoC 2011 on their
project of "File Uploader".
This was one of the feature I had included under my previous project, a
crude video of which can be found here [1]. It utilized the Swell JS API for
the Drag and Drop Upload of Files, however the project seems discontinued
now [2]. I had maintained the security hooks, as can be seen in the video
which automatically converts a .js file to a .txt file due to security
reasons. Moreover, it integrated a functional progress bar and allowed
upload of almost all kinds of files, by dropping them into the content area.
(No support for multiple file uploads however)

The features that I was thinking of incorporating in the following proposal
were as follows:

   - Upload Progress Bar
   - Multiple File Upload
   - Drag and Drop File Upload
   - Searching for an appropriate API (Swell JS is one, but is not actively
   maintained anymore)
   - Support for Google Gears and compatibility across major browsers.

Are there anymore feature requests based on this?
I suppose it would be beneficial to develop it into a plugin which can be
activated when required?

[1] http://maulikkamdar.com/hidden/dndu.html
[2] http://blog.justswell.org/

Regards,
Kamdar Maulik Rajendra
Fourth Year Undergraduate Student
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
+91 9932900863
www.maulikkamdar.com