[wp-hackers] Installing themes, plugins without FTP credentials

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Mar 23 20:26:22 UTC 2011

suPHP or other setuid methods shouldn't really be used except on
shared servers, where multiple users are sharing a single hosting
system.

If you have a private server, you can simply change the owner of the
WordPress directory and files to the user apache runs as and the
direct method will work, although this is really less secure.
Realistically, you should live with putting in your FTP credentials.

If you're wanting to automate this, you can define FTP_HOST, FTP_USER,
and FTP_PASS in the wp-config file to automatically use those. I would
recommend that if you do this, you setup an FTP user specifically for
this case who only has access to the WP directory.

-Otto