[wp-hackers] Installing themes, plugins without FTP credentials

Scot Hacker shacker at birdhouse.org
Wed Mar 23 18:33:15 UTC 2011

From all the reading I've done, WP's themes and plugins installers will either:

1) Work without FTP credentials if the directories are writable by the web server process
or
2) Prompt for FTP credentials

On my server, apache runs as nobody. So:

chown -R nobody:nobody wp-content/themes
chmod g+w wp-content/themes

Still prompts for FTP credentials. For testing, I open it up all the way (which I don't like to do):

drwxrwxrwx   6 nobody  nobody 4096 Mar 21 12:00 themes/

but it still doesn't work. Making sure the installer scripts themselves are owned by nobody:

# ls -l wp-admin/theme-install.php
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody nobody 3355 Feb 25 13:27 wp-admin/theme-install.php

So... why do I still get prompted for FTP credentials? Using WP 3.1.

Thanks,
Scot