[wp-hackers] [GSoC2011] Integrating Facebook and other social networks with a personal WP / BuddyPress

Piyush Mishra me at piyushmishra.com
Tue Mar 22 15:45:25 UTC 2011

I would say Facebook can be a project on its own and Ostatus can be kept
separate as a more complex and more interesting project.
There are basically two types of end users for facebook integration

   1. WordPress end users and Business blogs.
   People with pages basically.
   A friend of mine, Ankit Agarwal, started hacking on  a plugin for
   integrating WordPress and Facebook comments. I joined in with the last
   release of the plugin.
   Currently this is what the plugin can do
   - Push a link to wall/feed of the user when a new post is made on
      WordPress (Probably adding as a note would be better in case of
blog posts
      atleast)
      - Track all comments on that shared link on Facebook, pull them back
      to WordPress
      - Push comments to Facebook which are made on WordPress.
   It would have been easier if we had posting on facebook comments with
   openID from WordPress installation. (Like you can post facebook comments
   using Yahoo)

   Plans with the Facebook-Merge plugin.
   - Provide almost all social plugins from facebook, customizable as
      individual child plugins. (Connect, Comments, Like etc...)
      - Let users post and pull from a page or profile with all formats.
      Status updates, Videos, Images (Photos), Links, Standard post
excerpt as a
      link description etc.
      - Probably add analytics (la ThinkUp) and let users access insights.
      2. A Social network on BuddyPress
   I dont think this one needs much explaining. Hit facebook connect button
   and use both sites like one . (Am not sure of the legal stuff here)

The Second project is making single user sites/profiles compliant with
OStatus and Activity streams
Social ID is a term I came up with to make it easy for myself. I think its
officially called Ostatus.
This basically means we can turn a WordPress single user blog (with 1
author) Objects fly across the web to make your data completely yours.
Further reading
http://ostatus.org/sites/default/files/ostatus-1.0-draft-2-specification.html

http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/activity-schema-02.html
and