[wp-hackers] WordPress Permalink Redirection

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sat Mar 19 17:52:23 UTC 2011

Sure. WordPress does indeed generate 301 redirects for your particular case.

In the case of a 404, the redirect_canonical function tries a few
different ways to guess what permalink you really meant. If it comes
up with one, it will do a 301 redirect to the correct URL. This works
for both users and search engines.

Not all cases are covered though. So sometimes changing permalinks
won't work like this. In such a case, using a plugin that can handle
it will work.

-Otto