[wp-hackers] wpautop is NOT the problem.

Helen Hou-Sandi helen.y.hou at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 18:17:30 UTC 2011

I found these pretty comprehensive, both addressing using a custom button
for a shortcode, but should be easy enough to use it for <code> instead:
http://brettterpstra.com/adding-a-tinymce-button/ and
http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/wordpress/wordpress-shortcodes-the-right-way/

I haven't made my own buttons, but I have added some of the bundled TinyMCE
ones and pre-built plugins. I found dissecting the source of the TinyMCE
Advanced plugin (another mention, jeez) to be the most helpful, especially
with keeping things in a certain order instead of just tacking stuff on at
the end of a toolbar.

The WordPress source itself is also a great reference for all the init
options :)
http://xref.yoast.com/2.6.5/nav.html?wp-includes/js/tinymce/tiny_mce_config.php.source.html

--
Helen Hou-Sandi