[wp-hackers] Wp rewrite rule binding to admin-ajax.php

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Thu Mar 10 23:49:43 UTC 2011

WP_Rewrite is not a .htaccess type of thing.
Specifically, WP_Rewrite converts a Request into Query Vars.

IE. /2008/09/post/ is the same as index.php?year=2008&month=09&postname=post

It can't be used to rewrite to a admin-ajax, or non-index.php entry point.

The standard way of achieving this, is to set a custom query var, register
it through query_vars filter, and hook in on parse_request(or similar, some
use template_redirect, but thats after posts have been queried - i'm not
sure of the best one off the top of my head) and handle the ajax response
there.