[wp-hackers] add_magic_quotes() Plans for removal?

Rob Miller rob at bigfish.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 15:54:42 UTC 2011

On 7 Mar 2011, at 15:51, Chip Bennett wrote:

> Are core decisions normally made based on how they will impact Plugins -
> Plugins which are *not maintained by core*?
>
> I don't have a particular preference on this issue; I just found your
> response to be both interesting, and unexpected.
>
> I hope - and assume - that the core team generally make decisions based
> primarily on what is best for the core project, and for the community as a
> whole. Generally speaking, I would likewise assume that Plugin developers
> are expected to make appropriate modifications when core makes a change such
> as the one discussed below.
>
> (And isn't implementation of such changes exactly why the
> function-deprecation process exists?)
>
> Chip

When the change will potentially render thousands upon thousands of blogs vulnerable to SQL injection — a change for which WordPress would rightfully be blamed — it seems a pertinent consideration. Pandora's box is open; plugins in the wild, perhaps unmaintained for years but still nevertheless in use, are relying upon the slashes WordPress adds for security. There's not really much to be done.

Rob