[wp-hackers] sticky for custom post types

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sat Mar 5 13:33:23 UTC 2011

On Mar 5, 2011, at 6:52 AM, Steve Taylor wrote:
> Why shouldn't I be able to list my Real Estate Properties in
> reverse-chronology by default?

You might have a point. However...(see my next comment below)

> Thanks - a good possible workaround. However, I don't (and I'm
> guessing you don't) see this as any kind of feature request - types,
> formats, now "classes"? No - it's a workaround until CPTs become truly
> Custom.

No I'm not at all suggesting a feature request because, AFAICT, I have zero influence over what gets added and what doesn't. So it's not me you need to convince.

And I wouldn't call it a workaround; what I was trying to do was give you a solution. WordPress's architecture is "decisions not options" and then I'll  add "plugins to change decisions." It's taken me two years but I've finally embraced that and come to realize that it is fundamentally what makes WordPress so functionally scalable. Sticky posts applying only to post_type='post' is just one of those decisions. To label something like this a "workaround" is to discredit the very architecture that is WordPress.

FWIW I have found the whole sticky posts implementation to be a real hack that at times has caused me headaches because of how often it influences queries when I don't want it to. On second thought I think it you'll follow Mike Little's suggestion you'll end up with a more robust solution anyway.

Hope this helps.

-Mike