[wp-hackers] Plug-in Repository Structure

Eric Mann eric at eam.me
Thu Mar 3 15:07:41 UTC 2011

> Personally, I use /trunk for my unstable/development version, and only tag
> stable versions.

That answers the question perfectly.  I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't
break anything if I did it that way.

> I personally dislike SVN for development, I use git.

I feel the same way, and I actually use both Git and Mercurial for all my
personal stuff.  But I'm still using the official repository to release and
host my systems, so I want to be in-sync with the way the repo is supposed
to work.

Nothing wrong with two checkins, but you're doing it backwards. Do the
> tag checkin first. In reality, you can check in both at once.
> Shouldn't matter. But if you do separate them, do the tag first. Quirk
> of how the updater works can mean that it won't work the other way
> around. Rare, but possible.

Otto, that makes perfect sense and I've run into issues more than once
(seriously, check my revision history ... lots of "removing bad tag commit"
messages).  *But* the "offical" docs in the Developer Center actually tell
you to commit trunk first, then create a tag and commit it.
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/svn/  So if we're supposed to be
committing tags before committing trunk, someone should update this doc with
the proper procedure.  To be perfectly honest, this is where I actually *
started* with version control, and I doubt I'm the only one in that boat ...
so let's teach people the right way rather than trying to re-educate them
when we find out they're doing it backwards because that's how we taught it

In any case, thanks guys!  This helps a lot.

~Eric