[wp-hackers] Plugin usage info

Michael Clark dc153464a11bcf5aeb18180db28017fb.wp-hackers at planetmike.com
Wed Mar 2 17:26:24 UTC 2011

At 6:05 PM -0300 2/25/11, Alvaro wrote:
>Is there a way to get info about how many blogs are using the plugins I've
>developed?
>
>Maybe WordPress should offer this info on the plugins page, like it does
>with stats.

It seems that Alvaro's question never got answered. Why doesn't WP
make the number available? It could be added easily to the stats page
visible only to the plugin's developer(s), or on the Admin tab. I'm
not saying that plugins should be ranked by popularity based on
downloads, as we all know those numbers can be fudged.

I just added one of my plugins to the plugin directory this week, and
I have no idea how it's doing, since there are four earlier versions
shown on my pie chart.

I could do a rough calculation of how many times my plugin is
installed with basic math (# of total downloads divided by % of
current version). But throughout this morning my plugin has been
downloaded an extra 20 times. So now my estimate for total number in
use is between 10,907 and 11,372. I'd need to know what time the pie
charts are generated to get a more accurate number. Plus when the
next version of my plugin is released, I won't be able to as easily
calculate an estimate.

It's also odd that the oldest version of my plugin has been
increasing in percentage over the past few days. Did ancient versions
of WordPress report in to the mothership less frequently than current
versions do? Mike

--

Michael Clark
http://www.PlanetMike.com

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
  - Martin Luther King Jr.