[wp-hackers] Permalinks Issue

Ashish Saini ashishsainiashfame at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 14:05:31 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

I have actually ran out of ideas in troubleshooting an issue. It got
unresolved at forums<http://wordpress.org/support/topic/wordpress-category-gives-404-after-moving-to-a-different-domain?replies=18>&
wordrpress.stackexchange<http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/10467/wordpress-category-gives-404-after-moving-to-a-different-domain>
.com
It behaves weirdly & only someone who is familiar with the understanding of
internal working of rewrite_rules can make some further pointers.

I just moved a site from a domain to another. Everything is fine but the
category and tag pages return 404.
My permalink structure is */%postname%/* (I am aware of the performance
penalties) and the category base is *cat*.

I have tried flushing rewrite rules, re-saving permalinks, deleting htaccess
file & manually creating it, deleting rewrite_rules from option table,
twenty ten theme with zero plugins but nothing has worked out so far.

Interesting observation is, when I delete the .htaccess file, post
so instead of deleting it this time, I edited it and changed rewrite engine
to off. This stops pretty permalink from working. Both things contradict
each other.

When I tried deleting the rewrite_rules from options table, they were
regenerated again. I thought it was regenerated and not that I was not able
to delete it, so I renamed it but I couldn't. The old name would still exist
and the new one won't.

Default permalinks work fine. (?p=34 & ?category_name=something)

Also when WP was moved as WP 3.0.5 and then upgraded to 3.1
On forums, I found out WP 3.1 doesn't support Advanced Permalinks plugin, so
I disable it but my guess is it was active during the upgrade and it has
caused some issues.

So what should I be doing now?

Thanks & Regards
Ashish K Saini aka Ashfame