[wp-hackers] What makes WP index a plugin?

Arthur apeka1990 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 23:14:11 UTC 2011

This seems like a goofy question, but I've ran into some problems, when
creating both themes and plugins. When creating plugin from scratch, I
put all the meta info required in empty file, name it like
'plugin_name.php', go into WP dashboard, restart it - plugin not
recognized. I go back, copy-paste the 'Hello, Dolly' plugin, rename it
both in file name and in meta, delete all the content in file except
meta comments, then go to WP dashboard, restart - and voila, new plugin
appears.
So, what could this be all about?

Thanks in advance.