[wp-hackers] Best pratice categories ordering

John Blackbourn johnbillion+wp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 05:42:36 UTC 2011

On 15 June 2011 06:23, Lox <lox.dev at knc.nc> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How would you advice me to order categories in database ? I have made the
> drag/drop UI now, I am not sure how I should store them.
>
> I went adding a term_order column in the plugin's activation hook.
>
> Can this becomes an issue with WP future updates or anything else?

The 'My Category Order' plugin [1] adds a term_order field to the
terms table. A similar plugin of my own (not released yet) adds a
term_order field to the term_taxonomy table instead.

Adding table fields can potentially be an issue in future WordPress
versions. If a term order field is added it's likely it would work in
a similar way to your plugin or existing plugins, so I doubt
compatibility would be too big of a problem.

John

[1] http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/my-category-order/